Wild Stone: Climbing the Unclimbed, from the Arctic to Arabia
“Wild Stone: Climbing the unclimbed, from the Arctic to Arabia,” is a multimedia presentation by New Hampshire climber Sarah Garlick.
With professional photography, audio clips, and short videos, Garlick tells stories from her latest two expeditions: a journey to the granite big walls of South Greenland, and an exploration of the Wadi Rum desert in Jordan. Garlick’s presentation focuses on the common core of both expeditions: a quest to find and climb untouched cliffs in some of the world’s wildest locations. Garlick talks about what it takes to be an expedition climber in the modern era, from discovering an objective and putting together a team, to the inevitable ups and downs of the journey itself.
“Wild Stone” shares stories and images of Garlick’s 2010 expedition to Greenland, where she and her three teammates established a new, 2,000-foot free route up a remote granite wall. This expedition was supported by the prestigious Copp-Dash Inspire Award.
The presentation also premiers new photography and video footage from an expedition to the Wadi Rum desert in Jordan last winter, where Garlick and fellow climber Caroline George established a new sandstone adventure route called Uprising (5.11).
Upcoming and Previous Events
- Harvard Travelers Club
- Bates College, ME
- Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest REU program, NH
- Triangle Rock Club, Raleigh, NC
- American Alpine Club, Southeast Section
- Lyndon State College, VT
- Western Mass Climbers’ Coalition, MA
- REI, Boston, MA
- Colby College, Waterville, ME
- Appalachian Mountain Club, Pinkham Notch, NH
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Outing Club, Cambridge, MA
- American Alpine Club New York Section Outing, Adirondacks, NY
- Kismet Rock Foundation, Gorham, NH
- University of Wyoming, Outing Club, Laramie, WY
- White Mountain School, NH
- Mountainfilm, Telluride, CO
- Exkursion Outfitters, Pittsburgh, PA
- The Banff Mountain Book Festival, The Banff Centre, Banff, Alberta
- Feathered Friends, Seattle, WA
- Brown University, Providence, RI
- Rhode Island Rock Gym, Lincoln, RI
- The Rock Spot, Boston, MA
- Eastern Mountain Sports, North Conway, NH<
- Women’s Rock Weekend, International Mountain Equipment, North Conway, NH